Princess FADWA Centre for Additional / Special Educational Needs
The Princess FADWA Centre is the learning support / special educational needs provision at the King Fahad Academy.
The centre supports the needs of students referred to the centre by teaching staff, parents or guardians for causing concern. Referrals typically address the need for additional help with a specific learning challenge such as Dyslexia. The centre provides tailored and ongoing support through a wide array of services such as one-to-ones and in class support sessions (1 to 5) and (1 to 3).
Established in 2006 under the patronage of Princess Fadwa bint Khaled bin Abdullah (KFA Honorary President), the centre was created to address the unique learning needs of its diverse student body.
The centre’s staff are trained to work on each referred pupil’s individual needs, working closely with teachers, parents and outside agencies to ensure that pupils on the SEN register can make the most out of their education and thrive in a challenging learning environment.
Some of the services offered by the centre include:
- In class support sessions by SENTAs – Special Educational Needs Teaching Assistants
- One-to-one sessions by SENTAs, depending on the needs of the student
- Assessments: Dyslexia screening ages 6:6 and above, IQ assessment with WRIT, DASH, WRAT, WIAT, and other standardised tools
- Workshops for parents and teachers on how to address their children’s learning needs better at home (in both English and Arabic)
- British Sign Language (BSL) Non NVQ qualifications through Signature
- IEPs and reports of each support session are two methods used to monitor referred students’ progress and to communicate with teachers, the child, and his/her parents and in some cases multidisciplinary team including external experts
Princess FADWA Centre proudly offers its services free of charge not just for the school community but to the wider community as well.
For further information about the services offered by the Princess FADWA Centre or to arrange an appointment please contact the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), Samah Al Safadi, Senco@thekfa.org.uk